Tuesday, December 1, 2015

What I Miss About America

After 100 days in Hungary, I’ve started to miss things that I never thought I would. I’m not talking about Doritos and Netflix, though I do miss them dearly. I’m talking about the deep stuff. Here are three things that I miss about America.

1.    1.  Diversity
There is diversity among the Hungarian people; it’s not like they all look the same, but being here has really opened my eyes about the diversity I took for granted. I’m used to hearing last names from all over the world and seeing people from different ethnic backgrounds. Here, when you see someone who obviously isn’t Hungarian, they stand out. Note: I am in a small town away from the capital. In Budapest, there is some more diversity, but still not much.

2.    2.   The Competitive Spirit
Growing up with three siblings makes it nearly impossible to not be competitive. At least, in America. I play a car racing game with my 10 year old host brother and every time his car passes mine, he apologizes. He even apologizes when I crash (I’m not that bad) and offers to restart the game. He’s not the only one with this attitude. I feel like no one really wants to win or maybe, they just want to have a fun, fair competition. Another similar thing I’ve noticed is that there is less cheating here. I was playing a game with my classmates and I remember thinking “this would never work back home. It would be too easy to cheat.” While I don’t miss the cheating, I do miss a good competition without an apology for winning.

And the thing I miss the most about America is . . .

3.    3.   More freedom of gender expression
Hungary seems a bit old school to me gender wise. Mostly, the men drive and do the hard labor and the women do the cooking and house work (though there is some variation). I am okay with that. The problem I’m having is with the younger generation. I am the only girl in the school with hair too short to pull into a ponytail. 90% of the girls have either nail polish or fake nails, and they always dress fashionably. No girls ever just wear just jeans and a t-shirt, (which is all I brought). The girls here are girly and I’m having a hard time fitting in. In America, not doing these things doesn’t have as much of an impact – it just means you’re a little tomboyish. Here, that isn’t an option. You are either a girl or a boy and I’m not girly enough to fit into the girl category. I’m not even talking about more extreme gender issues, I’m just talking about being a little tomboyish.


This list is not meant to bash Hungary or their ideas. I just feel so grateful that I was raised in a place where thing like diversity and gender expression are the way they are. Maybe we can learn a little something about competition, though.

-Alina

No comments:

Post a Comment