Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Learning More and More

It is so representative of me that I have been in Hungary less than five days and I’m upset that my Hungarian hasn’t improved. My host family speaks just enough English and I speak just enough Hungarian for me to understand what’s going on. Mostly. We use google translate, too.

Yesterday, my host mom and brother had to go shopping because he outgrew all his clothes and needed new clothes and shoes for school. If there’s one thing that I am an expert at, it’s following mom around while she shops. I’ve only been doing it all my life. The rhythm of a mother shopping is the same in every country.

I’ve been at the house for three days now and for the first two afternoons, around 4pm, I’ve taken a nap until dinner time (around 6pm). I guess two naps and a good night’s sleep takes care of any jet lag I had.

Today my host parents and I met with the president of my Rotary club and she gave us some papers that I need for my visa.

I love the food so much. It’s the kind of food where you eat two bites and you’re full, but it tastes so good and you want to eat more. One observation: every dish has onions. I’m okay with onion, but I’ve had more onion in four days here than I ever had at home.

Here’s one of my favorites so far. Good ol’ meat and potatos with pickles on the side.




I’ve been trying to make a map of the Szekszárd in my head, so I’m grateful I’m only getting a little at a time, but the town seems to be made completely of round-abouts and I get turned around. We went to Zéti’s school to pick up his books and we went to this school supplies store which was super exciting for me.

If I understand correctly (every sentence seem to start with those words), today is the neighbor kid’s birthday and we are going to his party.

I’ll sign off with a poster that I saw in the giant grocery store.



-Alina

1 comment:

  1. Love you blog, Aljna! This is Jan from your dad's Rotary club. Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete